Boynton Beach, Florida

Boynton Beach, Florida

Population: 77,702
Type of Requirement: Ordinance

Visit Website

Contact Information

Physical Address:
Arts Commission
100 East Ocean Avenue
Boynton Beach, FL 33435

Main Contact:
Glen Weiss, Public Art Manager
Email Glen | 561.742.6026

Program Summary

The Code establishes that all development, redevelopment, reconstruction, or remodeling projects with a construction value of two hundred fifty thousand dollars ($250,000.00) or greater are subject to a mandatory public art requirement subject to the following exclusions:

  • Remodel, repair, or reconstruction of structures damaged by fire, flood, wind, earthquake, or other calamity;
  • Normal, routine maintenance not associated with renovation or new construction;
  • Infill housing (both single and two-family) and portions of projects that are affordable housing; and
  • Remodel, repair, reconstruction, or additions to any existing amenity or common area element located within an existing private residential development.

Private developers must pay a Public Art Fee equal to one percent (1%) of the construction value to the Public Art Fund. The Building Division/ Finance Department shall collect thirty percent (30%) of the fee at the time of the Building Permit issuance and the remaining seventy percent (70%) prior to and as a condition of issuance of the certificate of occupancy. Developers may obtain reimbursement up to seventy percent (70%) of the fee if the following conditions are met:

  • The developer agrees to follow the Art Commission’s recommendations to install artwork;
  • Prior to on-site placement, has the artwork and its placement approved by the Arts Commission to ensure that it will be accessible and readily visible to the public; and
  • Either a) selects an artist and project that meets specific criteria outlined by the Arts Commission; b) hires a professional consultant to select an artist for site-specific, architecturally integrated artworks that meets specific art guidelines; c) purchases artwork for permanent installation recommended by the Arts Commission; or d) elects to purchase or commission an artwork for donation to the City of Boynton Beach’s public art collection.
View Ordinance

A Tear Must Fall (2014). By Zhou Hong. City of Boynton Beach Collection. Courtesy: Debby Coles-Dobay