Los Angeles, California
Type of Requirement: Ordinance
Department of Cultural Affairs
2021 North Figueroa Street Suite 1400
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Felicia Filer, Public Art Division Director
Email Felicia | 213.202.5547
The Code establishes that all projects for a commercial or industrial building with a construction value of at least five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000.00) are subject to a mandatory public art requirement, subject to exceptions found in the code referenced above.
Projects may satisfy the requirement by paying an Arts Development Fee into a Cultural Affairs Department Fund at the time of obtaining the building permit. Alternatively, developers may enter into an agreement with the Department of Cultural Affairs for an art program or project with a value equal to that of the Fee obligation.
Fees are calculated according to the following schedule:
- Office or research and development buildings: one dollar and fifty-seven cents ($1.57) per square foot;
- Retail establishments: one dollar and thirty-one cents ($1.31) per square foot;
- Manufacturing buildings: fifty-one cents ($ 0.51) per square foot;
- Warehouse buildings: thirty-nine cents ($0.39) per square foot; and
- Hotel buildings: fifty-two cents ($0.52) per square foot.
Administrative Code §22.118 allows for a developer to credit, dollar-for-dollar, services and community amenities for cultural and artistic purposes in a development against the Fee requirement, subject to approval by the Cultural Affairs Department.
Metallotus (2010). By Electroland LLC. Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs Collection. Courtesy: Electroland LLC